HOME

“Unique and sensual"

GRAPE VARIETIES

40% Garnacha Blanca, 30% Maturana Blanca, 20% Tempranillo Blanco and 10% Viura.

2014 VINTAGE PRODUCTION

3.251 bottles.

VINIFICATION

Manual grape harvest of each grape variety in small, ten kilogram tubs. Cooling in cold room, until the temperature of the grapes goes down to 3 °C, and selection of each cluster before vatting. Double selection of clusters and vatting. Each grape variety is vinified separately. After a brief cold maceration of the whole grape clusters (between 10-12 hours), 80% of the free-run must is fermented in small stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures (12-15 °C) to retain its full varietal expression. The remaining 20% is put in new and second-year, 500-litre French oak barrels.

AGEING

80% of the wine remains in contact with its lees in stainless steel tanks for 12 months to preserve the varietal aromas against oxidation and give it greater harmony and unctuousness in mouth. The other 20% is also left on the lees for the same period of time but in 500-litre French oak barrels (new and second-year). After ageing, the wine is blended, bottled and laid down for another 24 months before being released.

THE BOTTLE

Our bottle is inspired in an original eighteenth-century bottle that is on exhibit at the Vivanco Museum of the Culture of Wine.

TASTING NOTES

Bright green, almost electric hues  belie its three years’ ageing. Overwhelming, complex nose, with tremendous mineral and hydrocarbon notes, denoting its ageing on the lees. Over time, notes of candied fruit appear, although fresh and lively. The mouth is a superb opportunity for enjoyment. Long, dense, with a salinity that almost speaks of other lands. A wine to enjoy that will continue to grow over time.

PAIRING

Shellfish, vegetables and all kinds of fish, particularly blue and fatty fish. Cheeses, rice dishes... It is a wine to enjoy by the glass on any occasion.

THE CONCEPT

Colección Vivanco 4 Varietales Blanco de Guarda is a wine born of Rafael Vivanco's interest in the tremendous potential of Rioja’s native varieties for making white wines. So, after years of research, three of their estate-owned vineyards where these Rioja grapes offer their best expression were identified. Four grape varieties, Garnacha Blanca, Maturana Blanca, Tempranillo Blanco and Viura, all grown employing sustainable methods. A  blend made in our land for the first time. A unique wine, full of nuances, born to grow, the result of ageing on fine lees for over 36 months: our Blanco de Guarda.

THE INNOVATION

Until now, most white Rioja wines meant to age for long periods were based on two fundamental premises. Almost all of them were made mostly with Viura grapes with small amounts of minority varieties. They were fundamentally aged in American and French oak barrels, over prolonged periods in search of greater complexity. Colección Vivanco 4 Varietales Blanco de Guarda is a new concept in these white wines, born to grow over time. First, because of their soul: For the first time, a blend of four 100% Rioja varieties is used. Maturana Blanca and Tempranillo blanco are exclusive to this DO, while Garnacha Blanca and Viura are grapes that have completely adapted to this region over the centuries. Second, because of their ageing concept: 80% of the wine is aged on fine lees in stainless steel tanks for over 12 months. The remaining 20% is also aged on the lees and for the same period of time but in 500-litre, French oak barrels (50% new). The result is a wine made with the utmost respect for the terroirs of provenance and its grape varieties. A faithful reflection of the new panorama of Rioja whites.

Come and Meet us
Carretera Nacional 232, 26330. Briones - La Rioja. Spain

Winery: +34 941 322 013 / winery@vivancowineculture.com

Foundation: +34 941 322 330 / foundation@vivancowineculture.com

Experiences: +34 941 322 323 / experiences@vivancowineculture.com
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Follow us

We want to share with you the Culture of Wine

We will send you our Newsletter monthly in which we will inform you about wine tips, news of the Culture of Wine and special offers.

SEND

We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. You can get more information of our privacy policy. If you continue, we will consider that you accept the use of own and others cookies

ACCEPT